Wednesday 18 July 2012

I went SOLO (How Low?)

Here I am, fresh back from 7A2's introduction to SOLO.
My initial feeling is that it went well. The discussion between the kids was right on topic, deciding which level something was on an exemplar.

I used Tait Coles' structure with a few tweaks (and shoe-horned in as many cool web apps as I could, just to try them out as it was being filmed).

By the end the students could create a piece of work that was relational level and provide feedback for each other as to what would make it extended abstract.

When I've reviewed the video I'll have a much better idea of how it went but for now, I'm very happy with my end of term experiment.

Plus points:
  • On task kids
  • Easy to understand structure
  • Good standard of work and of discussion
To improve:
  • Because of the shoe-horning tech. they didn't have as much time towards the end as I'd have liked. I had intended to use the triptico hexagons again to refresh the links between concepts

Update: I saw some of the girls from 7A2 in the yard at lunch time and asked what they thought of the lesson..
"As it was almost our last lesson this year I was disappointed you made us do work"
"I thought it was weird because you were talking about deep all the time"

I asked did you understand what you were doing
"Yes"
"Yes, most of the time"



No comments:

Post a Comment