Tuesday 18 June 2013

QR Codes -a new idea

Several of my colleagues have been using QR codes for a while now.

The general approach seems to be to give out a sheet of questions, the students answer them and then scan the answer. This leaves me feeling a little bit 'so what?' -they scan the answer and they're either right or wrong. There ends the learning journey.
The same result could be achieved with a folded piece of paper.

I've avoided QR codes up to now because I've long thought there must be a better/smarter way to use them than the above.

After a while of head-scratching and pondering I've decided to give QR codes a run out in my class, but I'm doing it  differently.

The students will be given a sheet of the answers. There are 10 questions and each will have 4 possible answers. Each answer directs you to a different question.

The questions will be hidden in the codes (yes, I know, 'folded piece of paper' -but wait!).

The students will be given a question to start from and they then move onto the next question depending on their answer. I know what order the questions should go in, if all are answered correctly so I can tell at the end who made mistakes.

Each time they answer a question they record its number so this generates a 'code' which can be checked by me at the end. If there are errors, I'll tell them so, so they can go back and check their answers.

The advantage of the QR code questions is that they remain hidden until used and if a student is struggling, the question is already in their device to be googled.

I haven't tested this yet, I've been developing the idea and tools to generate the necessary resources.

Update- there was a booking problem with the iPods so I never got my hands on them. I did run the activity with a class though' just showing the questions on the board. The activity ran well, several groups successfully navigated the route and produced the correct code at the end.
I've created another activity using the same format and I look forward to testing it soon

No comments:

Post a Comment